RESPECTING our profession and understanding its great social importance;
BEING GUIDED by the intention to strengthen public confidence in mass media as one of the democracy maintaining institutions;
ACKNOWLEDGING the IFJ Declaration of Principles on the Conduct of Journalists as a standard of professional behavior while obtaining, storing, disseminating and commenting on information;
UNDERSTANDING that the profession imposes great responsibility on journalists;
members of the Belarusian Association of Journalists declare that they will observe the following principles of the professional ethics:
• RESPECT the public’s right to know the truth, remembering at the same time that none has a monopoly over the truth.
• PROTECT the right to obtain and disseminate information and freedom of expression.
• STRIVE FOR maximum accuracy of information, in-depth and true argumentation while expressing opinions.
• ADMIT publicly and consciously one’s own mistake.
• CONSIDER unacceptable plagiarism, intentional misrepresentation and misinterpretation, ungrounded accusations, acceptance of a bribe for dissemination or refusal to disseminate some information.
• RESPECT other peoples’ points of view and foster public discussion in mass media.
• PREVENT racial, national, religious, sex, gender, political and other kinds of discrimination.
• PROTECT rights and interests of third parties while seeking, storing and disseminating information.
• PROTECT confidentiality of sources of information.
• NOT TO PLEASE authorities, but remember that one of the functions of the mass media is to control authorities’ actions.
• EXPRESS solidarity with the colleagues who are persecuted for journalist activities.
• STICK TO the jurisdiction of the journalistic community and try to solve conflicts with colleagues avoiding authorities’ intervention.